Lady Hawks Have Rough Weekend in Cape Tournament

The Hillsboro Lady Hawks Soccer team struggle through the Cape Girardeau Tournament, dropping all three games. Despite their best efforts they failed to find the back of the net.

The Hillsboro Lady Hawks Soccer team went on the road and faced off against some stiff competition in Cape Girardeau. The Hawks fought hard in all three of their games, but fell just short of the finish line in the end.

“We came into this tournament knowing we were going to be playing some of the toughest teams on our schedule,” Head Coach Sam Nansel said. “We fought hard in every game even when we were tired. It’s tough playing three games in two days, but the girls gave it everything they had plus some. We are very proud of the girls’ effort throughout the tournament.”

Cape Central 1, Hillsboro 0

The Hawks took on the Cape Central Tigers for the first round of the tournament and played a very competitive game. Unfortunately for the Hawks, the Tigers scored the first and only goal of the game in the 54th minute.

MacKenzie Baker tended the net all 80 minutes of the game and had two saves. 

Cape Notre Dame 8, Hillsboro 0

Cape Notre Dame proved to be a tough competitor for the Hawks. Despite their best efforts on defense, the Hawks surrendered four goals in quick succession to the Bulldogs in the middle of the first half. 

The second half proved to be just as difficult as the first, as the Hawks were unable to answer the Bulldogs’ goals. They held Notre Dame to four throughout most of the second half before they snagged four more goals in the last 20 minutes.

Baker played the entire game in goal and had 12 saves. The Hawks had a rough game getting shots on goal, earning one to Notre Dame’s 20.

Poplar Bluff 1, Hillsboro 0

The Hawks fared better in their final game of the tournament as they faced off against Poplar Bluff. Throughout the first half, neither team could gain the upper hand and remained deadlocked at zero. 

The second half saw both teams take the field with renewed determination to take the lead. Unfortunately, the Mules were the ones to come up with it, scoring in the 62nd minute. The Hawks didn’t find a chance to answer with a goal of their own, which ultimately handed them the loss. 

Once again, Baker went all 80 minutes in goal and saved two of the 12 shots taken on goal. The Hawks had three shots on goal of their own. 

“The Cape Tournament showed that we needed to work on our cohesiveness as a team,” Alex Wick said. “Our communication and how fluent we work on the field together are some of the kinks we need to work out for the future.”

With their record sitting at 1-3, the Hawks now prepare to participate in the Union Showcase on April 2nd.

Lady Hawks Have Rough Weekend in Cape Tournament
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

The Latest

To Top
error: Content is protected !!